Training Walk number 3

 Ouch! The last time I did a training walk was 12 February. And I'm wondering why I ache so much, duh!

I had planned to go tomorrow but tomorrow is a busy day, what with setting up the Village Hall for the Race Night, and then compering, not to mention drinkies and grub before everything kicks off and I have a potato salad to make! So I changed my plans, as I do, and followed Dan's advice to do it today instead. 

The forecast was good. That is to say it wasn't meant to rain though it was going to be chilly but I knew once I got going I'd warm up.

Because I had the whole day I wasn't in a rush to get going. I prepared my rucksack yesterday (how very unusually organised of me) and had my trainers, spare socks and a towel, a raincoat and munchies, as well as a battery charger for my phone. I wasn't sure how much I'd need but they say you should carry with you what you'll be carrying on the day (or two days in this case) and I'm so obedient, so that's what I do. I'd bought a new rucksack because, as much as I love my backpack, it's a little small for this purpose so I've invested in a slightly bigger one, which of course I managed to fill.

As I was about to leave, Dan reminded me I'd forgotten to eat breakfast. Darn it! Great start. I threw down some yummy porridge and set off on my merry way, new backpack firmly fixed.



Everything started really well. I'd decided to go for at least 25 miles and had plotted a route that was 26.4, a little ambitious perhaps but I need to get the distances in. I began fairly quickly, happy with the pace as I knew it wouldn't last and I wanted to get it up as much as possible at the beginning. I'm not sure if that's the right way to do things to be honest. I may start pacing better so that I don't run out of steam, I'm not sure yet. I guess it's trial and error so I'll give both a go.

It wasn't long before my Komoot app took me in a new direction and I had to admire the scenery. Vast expanse of open fields in every direction. Such a shame it wasn't sunny, it would have looked beautiful in the sunshine, but it still seemed pretty perfect to me :).


And then I passed my favourite house (apart from mine of course). I have loved the look of this place, and maybe in another life I will buy it. It even has it's own lake. To be honest, it probably sucks inside, but I love the outside, pretty eh?


So I went on, down my new route and before I knew it I was passing every country animal imaginable. I saw a fair few hares but they never hang around long enough to have their pictures taken, and the same with the bunnies. So cute. I passed cows and bulls and sheep with their lambs. We often have lambs at this time of year in the field next door but for some reason the farmer who owns the land hasn't got his act together and so our lambs won't be arriving for another couple of weeks. So these sheep made me hanker a little, but it was so cute to see the little lambies.


And then things took a little turn for the worse. As I said, Komoot plotted me a new route. Most of the time the routes from Komoot are perfect. It knows some lovely footpaths and stays off roads as much as possible. However, this new route wasn't like that. So much tarmac! It was fine except that my shoes are more for trekking so not that great on tarmac. It became really slow and uncomfortable and not only that, I'd seen some 'Private, Keep Off' signs at the start of roads I was turning into but since there didn't seem to be any alternatives, I kept going. Mile after mile of tarmac and private roads, very disappointing, not to mention painful. I'd planned a stop at 9 miles in, but once I hit this area the stop had to wait, I was determined to get through it before I thought about stopping for a snack. This was the best view in the whole area:


There was even a little family of swans trotting in front of me at one point and when they found the canal, I couldn't help but take a picture. It was very much a family day out.


I kept going and eventually managed to leave the 'forbidden' area. I plodded on, having an energy gel when I stopped for a snack because I could feel myself waning. A 10 minute stop was enough, I needed to keep moving so I carried on and turned a corner, only to be met by the sight of a quarry. Who knew!


Onward I trudged, setting myself targets, how many miles to go before I stopped, when to next have a snack, how long it might be before I hit familiar territory! And onward and onward I went, rejoicing when I was on mud or grass, so much more gentle on my feet. 

And when I finally arrived in a familiar town, and back onto my familiar route I was back on bloody tarmac!


Now it became about when I could take these shoes off and replace them with my trainers and fresh socks. The trouble was, I knew the route well from here on in and a lot of it was muddy and I didn't want to have two pairs of muddy shoes so I finally decided I'd wait until I was almost home, the last mile is all tarmac (oh joy!) so that would be far easier in trainers. I  had formed another plan.

Eventually I made it out of Yorkshire and back into Nottinghamshire and although the first mile or so was on tarmac, I knew the road and knew it wouldn't be long before I was back on mud and grass. 

As I neared my usual snack place I started talking to myself again. Should I stop in my usual spot, or should I stop by the canal. I weighed up the pros and cons and decided to stop by the canal. It was nearer home, and there was a bench. Though I did worry that if I sat on the bench I may not be able to stand up again.

The sun was trying so hard to peek through the clouds but it's efforts were in vain. I wasn't going to see it today sadly.


I passed my usual stopping place and headed for the canal. The canal last time was the last bit of my journey and so it seemed there wouldn't be far to go but in fact I'd have another 4 or so miles after the canal, thankfully cross country.

I stopped at the bench and took out my nibbles. Amazing how the simplest things can seem delish when you're hungry.  


My last snack of the day, my Jaffa Cake bar, didn't last 30 seconds. I sat for 10 minutes, and then had to steal myself to get going. The gel had encouraged my feet to move faster and I practically whizzed down the canal. Ok, that's very much an exaggeration, I basically walked quicker but it definitely does work, there was a definite burst of energy.

Sadly it didn't last to the end of the walk, and by the time I got to the last four miles, back over fields and footpaths, I think if I'd gone any slower I would have been going backwards. I was dawdling, no other word for it. Everything ached and I was really cold. So much for getting warm when you keep moving. Ha!

I was just messaging my friend Linda when I trod on a very slippery bit of path. Obviously.  It seems I can't go for a walk without landing on my arse at least once. This was that time. I went flying. I had to laugh. After all, getting up was going to be a problem. I managed it though, quite athletically I might add!

I finally made it to the bench, yes another bench. This time the bench I had planned to change my shoes and socks and get my trainers on and have another gel just to get me home. And that's what I did. It took an age. My shoes were caked in mud and before I put them in my rucksack I wanted to get most of it off. Could I find a stick? Yes, loads, but they all broke when I tried to flick the mud off. What is it with sticks. Namby pamby things!  I eventually succeeded and realised I'd been there a long time but at this stage I was past caring. 

The trainers felt like slippers and though I could barely walk, at least my feet were comfy!

When I got home, Dan was about to make me a cup of tea. A cup of tea??? I mean, tea is lovely, of course. I love tea. But I needed lager and crisps, not tea!  He joined me in a beer and I went for a shower. And then, oh boy, and then he cooked up the most delicious dinner anyone who has just walked 26.3 miles could have.

Pure heaven! Even including the tea! Now that was a fabulous cuppa, I have to say. 



And there you have it. Not that quick in the end and I have to admit, the thought of another eight miles on day one scares the life out of me, not to mention day 2. So I will keep doing it, 25 miles at least, and then start working on day 2 the next day. Maybe I'll do 5 miles tomorrow, or maybe not in fact. Busy day tomorrow! Yes, I'll start all that malarkey next time. Meanwhile. I'm buggered. Early night needed, or maybe another lager.


Comments

  1. Great blog. 😊

    I think you were wise not to try to do your walk today, given how busy your day is, but considering how you're feeling today, it might've been even wiser to do it on Thursday. 😁

    Well done on getting a full marathon distance in though. 😉 I don't know how you managed to go 4.6 mph at one point, unless it was steeply downhill. 😛 A 3.3 mph average is still really good pace over that distance. 🙂

    Don't forget, if you let me stick with you on the big walk, I'll drag your early pace down by default. 😁

    Interesting that you struggled on tarmac - I thought tarmac was good for me on my only long walk so far. My theory is that the softness of grass/mud absorbs some of the energy I'm putting into walking (like walking on sand but less extreme), and I don't want that; I need all the energy I can muster to go into pushing me forward, so tarmac is better for me in that respect.

    Sam and I saw (and heard!) lots of little lambs where we were staying last week as well. Too cute! 😍

    And we'll fight you for that house. 😜 The isolation for me, the lake for Sam. 😀

    Her love of water actually took us onto private farmland last week … and after a farmer on a tractor passed us 3 times, he could no longer resist giving us a slightly passive-aggressive telling-off. 😁 Sam was using a map that didn't make private roads very clear, unlike Google Maps, so in future, I'll be telling her to check Google Maps before directing me onto private roads! 😬 As the driver, it's me that takes the hit!

    Seems the 3 of us have had quite a similar few days … minus walking 26.3 miles and falling over in our case. 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Gordy :)

      I can walk at 4.6 tbh but not for very long!
      Well we can see on the day but maybe I'll speed you up, you never know!

      Hopefully tarmac problem now sorted! 🤞

      Oops! I'm sure you managed to charm the farmer ;).

      Haha!

      Delete
  2. Well done Becca!!! U r motoring, should motivate me to move a bit further 🤣❤️ Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to get it in early, I have a busy May! 🥰❤

      Delete
    2. Thinking ahead to May, I'm looking forward to the "5 days before" part of the training guide I've downloaded:
      "• Ease off the training – give your feet a rest
      • Aim to keep hydrated - drinking lots of water
      • Have a quiet week – no late nights!
      • Have all your kit packed and ready – keep an eye on the weather
      • Enjoy a week of lots of pasta & carbs!"
      😁

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And that, as they say, was that.

All good things come to an end...or do they?

The background